APPLICANTS TO THE APPRENTICE PROGRAM do not need any previous experience performing Shakespeare. Apprentices must be at least 18 years of age by the beginning of the Stradbroke intensive (Feb 27th, 2022).There is no upper age limit.
The ideal apprentice is a theatre artist who wants to enrich their craft by immersion in classical text and its performance. Apprentices receive extensive training in the Linklater voice method, movement, and QSE’s approaches to working with classical text, as well as having the opportunity to engage in a range of activities and tasks involved in putting on a production and running a theatre company.
The cost of the Apprentice Program is $880 (including membership), which covers training plus mentorship from experienced company members valued at over $2000. Payment plans are available. The apprentice program runs from Feb 19th to Aug 13th, and is a part-time commitment other than during the intensive training periods outlined below.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted by e-mail only to email@example.com (if electronic submission is not possible, please contact QSE at the same e-mail address well in advance of the deadline to request an alternative).
Make sure that your application includes ALL required documentation, or it cannot be accepted. Each of the following should be a separate document, ideally JPEG for the headshot and PDF for other documents. Applications should include:
- your headshot (ideally A4 size / high resolution)
- your acting CV
- a one-page cover letter, as a separate attachment (ie not in the body of the e-mail) that:
- clearly states whether you are auditioning for the Core Ensemble, Apprentice Program, or both
- includes contact details; specifically mobile and home phone numbers and an e-mail address
- indicates if you have a preference for a particular audition time. If you have specific time restrictions for your initial audition on December 3rd or 4th, please make these explicit in the cover-letter, otherwise we cannot guarantee you a specific time.
- details why you would like to work specifically with QSE
- assesses your strengths and challenges as an actor
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT ABLE TO ACCEPT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS.
Please ensure you have read the ‘Crucial Dates’ section prior to applying.
Once we have received your application we will send you an e-mail acknowledging receipt, along with information about QSE and our 2022 activities. Your audition time will be e-mailed to you on or by November 29th.
Please note that not all applicants will necessarily be offered auditions. The offer of an audition is dependent on the quality and fit of the application materials.
PREPARING FOR YOUR AUDITION
Initial auditions will take place at the University of Queensland (St Lucia) and will consist of 15-minute slots in the following sessions, by appointment only:
2-6pm Saturday December 3rd and 2-6pm Sunday December 4th.
Prepare two pieces from any of Shakespeare’s plays, one comic piece and one dramatic piece (not necessarily from a comedy and a tragedy/history, just one piece with a comic tone and one with a dramatic tone). Each piece should be no more than two minutes long, and speeches do not need to be age/gender appropriate. Choose something with which you feel a personal connection.
Callbacks will take place at the University of Queensland (St Lucia) and will consist of a group session 6-11pm on Monday December 5th that will include voice, Shakespeare, group work and improvisation. You MUST be available for the entirety of this callback to be considered for the Core Ensemble or either Apprentice program.
In order to be accepted into the 2023 Apprentice Program, you must be available for the following dates:
- Company Meeting: evening of Feb 19th
- Residential Training Intensive at Stradbroke Island: Feb 27 – March 5 (Mon-Sun, inc travel)
- Training Weekends: training in voice and acting on the weekends of March 11th/12th, 18th/19th. and 25th/26th from 9am to 5pm each day
- Advanced Training/ Dare to Share: 6-10pm Wednesday nights from March 8th to April 26th + the evenings of May 2nd – 6th
- Apprentice Meetings: (evenings of) Mar 12, April 9, May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug 13th
More detailed information about 2023 activities and events, including a detailed calendar, will be available prior to the audition.
If you have questions, please e-mail QSE at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a message on 0411 172 390.
Back to Auditions Homepage
Learn more about our new Advanced Apprentice Program