Experienced professional actors that are interested in being part of the Core Ensemble are encouraged to apply for an audition.
Applicants will be skilled actors with a passion for performing Shakespeare and a strong desire and capacity for being part of an artist-managed ensemble. The Core Ensemble, as the name suggests, is the heart and soul of QSE, and drives our artistic and business activities.
Applicants for the Core Ensemble should be familiar with QSE’s activities and philosophy, and ideally would have some previous experience with QSE’s training. It is unlikely that an applicant who has not previously performed or trained with QSE would be invited to audition for the Core Ensemble.
The ideal Core Ensemble member would have the following qualities:
- a passion for performing Shakespeare
- respect and commitment to QSE’s work and training
- skilled and energetic in their work on-stage and off
- able to receive and incorporate feedback into their practice
- a mix of artistic and business/administrative skills
- able to fill a gap in QSE’s current skill profile
- a team player, more concerned with the creation of artistic community than in furthering their own commercial career
- long-term commitment to the advancement of QSE and theatre in Queensland
Core Ensemble members are given first priority, where possible, for any paid work within the company. In return, Core Ensemble members are expected to make QSE their first artistic priority, and not allow other artistic activities to preclude them from QSE activities. In addition to artistic commitments, Core Ensemble members are expected to commit an average of 8 hours per week to their management portfolio across the year.
HOW TO APPLY
PREPARING FOR YOUR AUDITION
In order to be accepted into the Core Ensemble, you must be available for the following dates in 2024:
• Initial company meeting: Sunday January 21st 6-10pm.
• Residential Training Intensive at Minjerribah (Stradbroke Island): January 29th through February 4th (dates include travel days).
• Regular Advanced Training: 6-10pm Wednesday nights from February 7th to March 27th, with a public sharing the week after Easter (must be available evenings April 2nd–6th).
• Members of the Core Ensemble must have general availability the first and third Sunday evenings of each month (6-10pm) for business, planning, and artistic meetings.
• NEW Core Ensemble members: training in voice and acting on the weekends of February 10th/11th, 17th/18th, and 24th/25th from 9am to 5pm on each day.
Rehearsals are generally held on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings and on Saturday during the day. Rehearsal and performance periods for 2024 are April 27th – July 28th (Production 1) and August 24th – November 24th (Production 2). Please note that although QSE encourages its Core Ensemble members to gain experience through other performance opportunities, priority must be given to QSE artistic activities throughout the year.
More detailed information about 2024 activities and events will be provided prior to the audition. If you have questions, please e-mail QSE (firstname.lastname@example.org) or leave a message on 0411 172 390.